Introduction...

Many people have said that the ‘Tour du Canada’ is a “journey and not a destination”. The past 2.5 months has been a journey of many respects. It has been physical journey as I regularly climbed on my bike and over the course of 72 days migrated from west to east over 7,500 kilometers of Canada’s vast geographic expanse - from the Pacific to the Atlantic. It has also been an emotional and, dare I say it, ‘spiritual’ journey. A journey through which I feel I have ‘discovered’ Canada and come to better understand how I fit into the social and cultural geography of a country for which I long proudly claim citizenship but hardly knew.


Jun 30, 2008

The Beatles - "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds"

Lucy in the sky with diamonds
Lucy in the sky with diamonds
Lucy in the sky with diamonds
Ah... Ah...

{VERSE 2}
Follow her down to a bridge by a fountain
Where rocking horse people eat marshmallow pies,
Everyone smiles as you drift past the flowers,
That grow so incredibly high.
Newspaper taxis appear on the shore,
Waiting to take you away.
Climb in the back with your head in the clouds,
And you're gone.


- The Beatles - Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds


Rest Day – Golden
** TOTAL KMS Covered To Date: 782 kms ***

I chose 'Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds' because the mountains surrounding the campsite were like diamonds in the sky and completely surrouneded the site. It was a gorgeous setting for our Rest Day..! The day in Golden provided a much needed break from the saddle and a wonderful opportunity to catch up on laundry, eat 5 or 6 full course meals at 7-11 and wander around the thriving metropolis of Golden.

The campground was nice – lots of mosquitoes but close to the river and an easy walk into town. It didn’t take too long to discover both the laundry mat and the bakery…! I spent most of the day catching up on my journal entries and chatting to everyone around the camp. Peter and BC provided a great ‘how to change a tire’ course which I managed to document on film.

I found a fabulous internet cafĂ© which was actually a bike shop. It was a perfect recluse from the heat as the temperatures soared to 38 degrees…! The people in the bike shop were super nice and I also took the opportunity to indulge in some retail therapy – I bought a Gore-tex jacket to protect against the rain… as I knew it would be inevitable that we’d get caught out in a Prairie shower.

In the evening we all headed down to the town movie-theatre to watch “Love Guru” starring Mike Myers. It was a comedy – a total, total ‘no brainer’ which inevitably did make everyone laugh, full of Canadian content..! It was refreshing to be away from ‘bike talk’ and be able to think about something other than the climbs, the steeps, etc. My knees were aching so I was convinced that it was going to rain so rushed back to the camp to clean up my stuff and also prepare for an early departure out of Golden. Brendan, Cullan and I went out and had a great dinner at a new little pub in Golden which was a total gem – soooo good. We tried a great new beer Kootenay. Fab homemade burgers and house fries washed down with a few beers.

A great way to end a relaxing and quiet rest day in Golden. Our next rest day would be in 4 days in Drumheller, Alberta.

No comments: