Introduction...

Many people have said that the ‘Tour du Canada’ is a “journey and not a destination”. The past 2.5 months has been a journey of many respects. It has been physical journey as I regularly climbed on my bike and over the course of 72 days migrated from west to east over 7,500 kilometers of Canada’s vast geographic expanse - from the Pacific to the Atlantic. It has also been an emotional and, dare I say it, ‘spiritual’ journey. A journey through which I feel I have ‘discovered’ Canada and come to better understand how I fit into the social and cultural geography of a country for which I long proudly claim citizenship but hardly knew.


Jun 19, 2008

Queen - Jazz (1978) "Bicycle Race"

Bicycle bicycle bicycle
I want to ride my bicycle bicycle
bicycle
I want to ride my bicycle
I want to ride my bike
I want to
ride my bicycle
I want to ride it where I like…."

- Queen - Jazz (1978); 'Bicycle Race'

Tomorrow I fly out to Vancouver to start my ‘TdC summer adventure’ from June 21 – August 31st. The total distance covered is 7,480kms (4,620 miles); the longest day is 176 kms (109 miles) over the course of 71 days…. Sitting here in the comfort of the house and overlooking the fields of SW Ontario makes it all seem rather daunting…! Fortunately the TdC is unlike the Queen song - it is not a race but rather a journey.

I am really looking forward to the routine of getting on my new bike, finding my ‘groove’ and finally meeting the other participants on the ride. We will start in Vancouver on Saturday with an orientation day at UBC where we will make initial introductions, go through safety-related details and also learn how to use the amenities of the five-tonne truck in which we will store our gear and also use as the kitchen for the coming 2.5 months (yes, I am ALSO going to learn how to cook…). Kraft Dinner for 30 people... Anyone…. Anyone...?

A very brief overview of the route:

Start in Vancouver, go through the Coast Mountains, Kamloops, Rogers Pass…then over Kicking Horse Pass (not looking forward to the pull out of Golden!), on to the loooong flat prairies, the Qu’Appelle Valley and through to the Yellowhead Highway to the outskirts of Portage la Prairie, through the Peg (wahoo!), and then on to join the TransCanada to Kenora, Lake of the Woods, Thunder Bay and Lake Superior. The half-way point on the trip is about at the Terry Fox monument east of Thunder Bay.

Past the Lakehead we get into the granite formations of the Canadian Shield where we will be met by long rolling hills which are rumored to be the toughest part of the trip – hopefully by that stage my legs will have become strong and my backside a bit more accustomed to the saddle..! A nice ‘break’ will be provided on a cross to Manitoulan Island and the ferry to Tobermory. From there we cycle through to Lake Simcoe, Toronto, the Ottawa Valley, and then Peace Tower on Parliament Hill in our nations capital, Ottawa..! From the Ottawa we follow river networks to the sea through to Montreal and along the St. Lawrence, then upon reaching the Gaspe Peninsula, we climb overland to the Matapedia Valley, one of the world’s great salmon rivers.

Finally, the Acadian Coast – the maritime provinces..! We will follow the Acadian Coast of New Brunswick through fishing villages until we reach Prince Edward Island via the Confederation Bridge. We leave the island on a ferry that goes to Nova Scotia at Pictou and then on to Port Hawkesbury and onto Cape Breton Island. Our final destination will be North Sydney (yes, we have one in Canada too!) where ferries leave for Newfoundland. Taking the ferry along the open water we will reach the 10th and final province in the journey – Newfoundland..! In Newfoundland we will ride across the Avalon Peninsula to reach St John’s where we will reach the final hill on the Tour – the climb to the lighthouse on Signal Hill..!

(reference: The CycleCanada Guide to Bycycle Touring, by Bud Jorgensen)

Bike & Gear – a very, very steep learning curve..!

I have added a new addition to my bike family – the Trek 5000. I bought it in London (Ont.) at Reynolds Cycle where I test drove a number of different bicycles (both road bikes and hybrids). When I found the one I liked, I was weighed and measured to the frame. A great light carbon fiber frame with mid-range components – perfect for a ‘not-especially hard core biker doing an especially hard core trip’. Whilst I adore my mountain bike (photo of 'Bike' [Trek 8000] and I below taken in Tanzania in September 2007), I must confess I am enjoying the sense of ‘freedom’ and speed that the road bike offers.
I was also sure to invest in a super padded saddle as well as some very gel-filled lycra shorts. Not especially attractive but at this stage, I am going for the comfort factor over fashion..! I also managed to find a fantastic Marmot 2-person tent which will be my home for the coming months…


I am starting to wonder if I hit my mid-life crisis at 32 with the purchase of my ‘new wheels’ and my ‘new house’…!

4 comments:

Leslie Jane Moran said...

Contessa!

This is truly an amazing undertaking. I have a sheepskin seat cover that I will gladly throw to you as you pass through any of the routes I hope to spot you on:) I will follow your route with great interest, and look forward to seeing you on Parliament hill...whenever! I'll add you to my bookmarks and peek in each day. Best of luck and wishes for all good success. This inspires me to make a banner to wave at appropriate check points. Keep us informed.

Unknown said...

Wow! I'm stunned and slightly scared for you! 7500km? Surely there are one or two extra zeros in that number. Amazing. Look forward to hearing how you get on - will you be able to post pics?

x

Anonymous said...

I'll be "watching" you!
-so far , so good!
-keep up the good work!
-sorry I missed you when I dropped in to your house after getting rocks(for my pond) at Adam's/Grace's place. The latter got me up to date on the Tour & the new bike purchase.
-did you visit with Lockwood?
AED

Anonymous said...

Hanoi,

You will no doubt have some great stories to tell,
A book to write, market and sell!

Across the land you will fly
perhaps little scary,
While me? Feet up, in hand a Bloody Mary.

Keep me posted x