Introduction...

Many people have said that the ‘Tour du Canada’ is a “journey and not a destination”. The past 2.5 months has been a journey of many respects. It has been physical journey as I regularly climbed on my bike and over the course of 72 days migrated from west to east over 7,500 kilometers of Canada’s vast geographic expanse - from the Pacific to the Atlantic. It has also been an emotional and, dare I say it, ‘spiritual’ journey. A journey through which I feel I have ‘discovered’ Canada and come to better understand how I fit into the social and cultural geography of a country for which I long proudly claim citizenship but hardly knew.


Aug 6, 2008

Bruce Springsteen - "Darlington County" - Alliston to Darlington

Driving in to Darlington City
Got a union connection with an uncle of Wayne's
We drove eight hundred miles without seeing a cop
We got rock and roll music blasting off the T-top singing.

- Bruce Springsteen - "Darlington County"


Day 47 – Alliston to Darlington
134kms / 83 miles

The song of the day is one by Bruce Springsteen – Darlington County – however I am writing this entry not from Darlington County but rather from Darlington Provincial Park.

Today started off a bit different than normal as I woke up dry, in a bed and in a hotel room..! I spent another night in the lap of luxury at the Nottawasaga Inn with my parents which was wonderful. I have to readjust to sleeping in a bed and not sleeping outside though..! Mom and Dad brought me to the campground for a 7:15 kick off and to catch the last bit of breakfast – pancakes..! Yum! It was also a great opportunity for my parents to see the campground ‘in action’ – people taking down wet tents, loading the truck, making peanut butter sandwiches, doing last minute bike tune ups, washing breakfast dishes, and the general ‘scurrying about’ and going up and down the stairs into the truck. I have not adjusted to all of this and it is part of my regular morning routine however to an ‘outsider’ I can imagine that it is quite unique to see everyone in the midst of such an unusual routine. It was also nice for Mom and Dad to see what I have been referring to in my blog for the past 47 days..! I did have the luxury of my Mom filling my water bottles and my Dad making last minute adjustments on my bike.

Brendan, Andrew, Ian and I all set off to waves and blown kisses at around 8am. I always ‘suffer’ the day after rest days as my body begins to ‘seize’ up and today was no exception. I had also been thrown out of my 'routine' with the hotel-stay (although I was very grateful for it..!) I was tired from the Rest Day and was feeling incredibly lethargic in spite of the lovely weather and enjoyable day yesterday with my parents and my sister.

The map was a bit of a winding one with lots of navigating to Brendan was in the drivers seat for most of the morning. At one point we had to get off of our bikes and trek across a muddy field as the bridge was under construction and the bridge-workers turned a blind eye to our little short-cut. It made for some muddy wheels but we all had a good laugh about the situation as we used old bits of wood to pick the mud out of our cleats.

The scenery around this part of Ontario on the escarpment is gorgeous – very fertile land and the first time I have really noticed ‘cash crops’ similar to the ones grown by my Dad in South Western Ontario – corn, wheat and soybeans. Everything looked incredibly healthy, tall and weed free. There was also a sod farm which I’d never seen before. The field looked like a giant 100 acre flat, straight, perfectly mowed and manicured golf course. I was tempted to take off my bicycle shoes and run barefoot through the grass. If I ever grow up and become a farmer I will definitely consider becoming a sod farmer..!

The areas we cycled through throughout most of the day are very prosperous marked by huge well kept houses, long private drives along some well paved roads. The houses around Uxbridge were especially nice... some had giant iron gates and I imagined all the Canadian celebrities living behind the walls.

We went by Holland Marsh which reminded me a lot of Holland itself – I’m assuming that’s why it’s called ‘Holland Marsh’. It was a long flat tract of land which is clearly extremely fertile. There were loads of vegetables growing – carrots, cabbage and a variety of different flowers. It was pretty impressive..! There were some seasonal workers knee deep in the loamy soil which greeted us as we sped by. You could smell the richness of the dark, black soil and its healthy array of crops... primarily carrots..!

The smells inspired us to stop at Tim Hortons, off of the busy highway and in Bradford. It was an unusual Tim Hortons as this was only a 'drive through' one so we were forced to head in and indulge in our 2nd breakfast whilst sat out on the sidewalk of the restaurant. I was desperate for a washroom so was disappointed to realise that I would have to make a side trip to a cornfield before too long.

My prayers were answered (sorry Ian!) as Ian got a flat as a result of a 2 inch nail stuck in his tire so we were delayed slightly just outside of Bradford. This began a leisurely cycle through the small town of Sharon and then a hot climb up into the town of Mount Albert. At the top of the hill we had a wonderful surprise – a ‘surprise rest stop’ courtesy of a TDC vet from 2007! He kindly parked his car at the top of the hill to welcome us with ice cold water, and home made chocolate chip and oatmeal cookies..! They were absolutely fantastic and such a treat – especially at the top of the hill..! It’s always great to meet the Vets and listen to their stories and the highlights of their tour - I am always trying to glean information off of them so I know what to mentally prepare myself for. I was particularly interested in the Cabot Trail which we’ll be doing in the final few days of our journey and Jim (?) had some fantastic reviews of the coming few weeks. It’s so nice that vets are so positive about their TdC experiences that they are keen to share their enthusiasm with other bikers. The stop was hugely appreciated..! Thanks SO MUCH!!

From Mount Albert we decided to have lunch in Uxbridge where I vowed to reapply a much needed sunscreen layer. In Uxbridge we found a FANTASTIC restaurant which I highly, highly recommend. It’s called, “The Tin Mill Restaurant” (http://www.empirecatering.com) and began as a flourmill, then a tannery and now has become a popular restaurant, bar & outdoor dining experience. I’m surprised that they let us in as it was fairly ‘posh’ with its hardwood floors, gorgeous rooms, Victorian style and fantastic gourmet food. It also had a fantastic jewellery botique where I splurged on a pair of earrings (hey, a girl has to look her best even when on the road!!). Andrew, Dave, Ian and I all sat out on the patio and basked in the sun while sipping iced tea and cold water. Soooo relaxing..! In other circumstances I could certainly imagine spending a full afternoon here eating and chatting. Unfortunately we still had a long ride ahead of us and continued on our way on route 8 and then onto Route 5.

I am never 'at my best' after a big lunch and in the heat and today was no exception. In the Cue Sheet it had been written that we would 'roll downhill all the way to the lake'. I think that this meant that we would be heading 'downhill' but it failed to mention that the downhill also included A LOT of rolling ups and downs... and ups and downs and ups and downs.

Let me reiterate there were A LOT of ups and downs... My legs were aching and I tried very hard to keep my sense of humor and my complaining to a minimum!

Fortunately the shoulder was good and with each pedal stroke we were approaching our final destination - Darlington Provincial Park. I must admit however, I was pretty tired and was really looking forward to getting to camp and setting up my tent and indulging in another meal. My metabolism is equivalent to that of a horse at the moment. Peter spoiled us by making some delicious 'chocolate spiders' which were incredibly tasty... I think I had about 6 of them. I must remember to ask him for the recipe!!


The campsite in Darlington Provincial Park was nice but we were miles away from the truck which made for some good exercise. Unfortunately however the highway and a train felt like it was going right through our campsite. I was so tired that I didn't care and it took me about 3 seconds to fall asleep. It had been a great day but I was long overdue for a good nights sleep back in the fresh open air and my lovely little North Face bed.

No comments: